Getting soft, beautiful curls for an elegant look is easier than you think!
By: Sarah James
Loose, romantic waves never go out of style.
Use this step-by-step tutorial to achieve the perfect hairstyle for almost any occasion — especially a date. You’ll need a curling iron (with clamp), heat protection spray and a light-hold hairspray.
Before using any heated tools, always be sure to prep your hair with a heat protectant, such as Pantene Heat Protection Spray. After blow drying, be sure to brush through any tangles with a paddle brush.
Section off your hair to ensure you don’t miss any pieces. I like to section it in half by pulling any hair above my ears into a clip (this will be the “top” part). To make it even easier, part the remaining “bottom” or “underneath” section down the middle so you’re working with two halves.
1. Starting with a 1- to 2-inch section of hair, clamp the curling iron about halfway down the hair shaft.
2. Rotate the curling iron toward the back of your head while releasing the clamp just a bit, slowly pulling the hair through the clamp.
3. Curl hair away from your face — keep in mind that this will be a different direction for each side of your part.
4. Continue to work with the pieces on the “underneath” part of the hair until all pieces have been curled.
5. Release the top portion of your hair and continue the same technique on the remaining hair until all of the hair has been curled.
I like to save the pieces in front of my ears for last, as a tighter curl tends to have a romantic effect.
If you want extra hold, lightly spray a flexible hold hairspray like Pantene Flexible Hold Hairspray all over your mane, tousle slightly with your head upside down and voilà! Cascading locks.
Sarah can be found contributing her musings on style, beauty and parenting at her personal blog, Whoorl, as well as the popular beauty website Hair Thursday. Her blogs have been featured on “The Rachael Ray Show,” ABC’s “Nightline ” and in The New York Times.