By: Rocío Mora
It’s coming! ¡Prepárate! The cool dry air has been taking over, and it’s only going to get colder. Time to change up your beauty routine. Here are a few things you can do to keep you looking súper bella all winter long.
1. Avoid Hot Showers. Yes, it’s cold outside and the first thought is to take long hot showers, right? Wrong! Stick to lukewarm, otherwise your body’s protective skin lipids will melt away, stripping your skin of natural oils and moisture.
To help avoid dry, itchy and flaky skin, take shorter showers with lukewarm water and follow up with a moisturizing lotion, like Olay Quench Daily Lotion. Also, consider adding a few drops of olive oil or coconut oil to your lotion and apply right after you hop out of the shower to ensure your skin is thoroughly moisturized.
2. Heal Your Hands. Your hands actually have fewer oil glands which makes it harder to keep them moist. With the dryer air, it could lead to cracking and itching. Avoid hand sanitizers with alcohol in them to prevent further drying and wear cotton gloves after moisturizing your hands!
3. Try Hot Oil Treatments. The dry air will leave your hair looking and feeling dry, too – especially if you have curly hair like me! Dandruff is also common in the winter due to dryness in the scalp.
To condition your locks, consider applying a dollop of olive oil to your dry scalp and hair once a week. With a plastic shower cap, cover your hair. You can add a steamed towel on top to help trap natural body heat, which will help open the cuticle and allow the moisture to penetrate your hair. 15 minutes later, rinse and wash as usual.
And to help get rid of that pesky dandruff, try using Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Shampoo to keep your hair soft and manageable throughout the wintertime.
4. Keep Lips Kissable. Make your own lip scrub to exfoliate the dead skin with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of honey. Apply a lip balm with Vitamin E after exfoliating, and also before bed, to accelerate the healing.
5. Don’t Toss the SPF. ¡Ay mija! The sun still shines in the winter, whether you can feel it or not. Never forget the sunscreen! That’s something mi abuelita taught me. If you plan on spending time out in the sun, avoid winter sunburn by applying an SPF of 20 to 50. Besides, you’re most prone to getting wrinkles in the winter without proper protection.
Try using Olay Regenerist Micro-sculpting Cream with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 . In addition to protecting your skin from the sun, it helps fight the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Win, win!
How do you change up your beauty regimen in the winter? Share your tips in the comments below!
Rocío Mora is the content creator and social media influencer behind RisasRizos. Her YouTube channel highlights the importance of embracing naturally curly hair and focuses on proper curl care for multiple generations. She’s has been recently been featured in Latina.com as one of the top 10 Natural Hair Bloggers You Should Be Following and on NBC Latino as one of the 10 Latina Bloggers You Should Be Watching This Year.