How to Whiten and Brighten Your Smile
Try these oral-care and beauty-regimen tips to help keep your smile looking white and bright.
The basis of a beautiful smile is proper dental hygiene — so let's review the basics.
- Floss before brushing. Flossing helps prevent gum disease, gingivitis and cavities by removing food particles from the teeth.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with an American Dental Association®-accepted fluoride toothpaste such as Crest Pro-Health™ Toothpaste. Prevent gum disease by brushing for at least two minutes in the morning and using small, circular movements.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for professional cleanings and oral exams. Women who are menopausal are susceptible to gum disease and cavities, so regular cleanings are especially important.
Nutrition and Lifestyle
When it comes to the effects of lifestyle on your smile, smoking and poor nutrition top the list. Here are some lifestyle and nutrition tips for keeping your smile youthful and bright.
- Sleep at least eight hours a night. Lack of sleep depletes your immune system, leaving you susceptible to infection from oral bacteria.
- Take a daily dose of vitamins C and D. These help maintain dental health and fight gum disease by supporting the absorption of calcium and phosphorous, which in turn keep bone and gum tissue healthy.
- Eat more fresh fruits and veggies. Believe it or not, apples, carrots and celery actually clean the teeth naturally. Spinach, lettuce and broccoli create a film on your teeth that acts as a barrier to staining.
Enhance Your Beauty Regimen
Simple additions to your beauty regimen actually can improve the appearance of your smile. Try these teeth whitening tricks to help make your teeth appear whiter and brighter.
- Change your lipstick shade. To get the appearance of whiter teeth, use a cool-toned, blue-based lip color, rather than an orange-beige.
- Explore tooth-whitening products such as Crest Whitestrips® Renewal. Relax with a magazine while the tooth strips whiten and brighten your smile. The enamel-safe gel gets at the stains beneath the surface of teeth.
- Switch to sunless tanning moisturizer. A sunless tan not only gives you a youthful, sun-kissed glow, it actually helps make your teeth appear whiter.
Finally, your teeth don't have to be perfect for you to have a beautiful smile — it's your attitude that makes your smile the brightest. The more often you smile, the better you can feel, and the better you feel, the more lovely your smile!