1. Energize with new trends. “It’s especially important for women older than 40 to bring the latest styles into their wardrobes,” says Brenda Kinsel, author of “Brenda Kinsel's Fashion Makeover: 30 Days to Diva Style!” (Chronicle Books, 2007). Try out a new clothing trend and incorporate it with other clothes already in your closet.
2. Follow the 50-percent rule. Kinsel also says less is more. “I tell clients to take a trend and cut it in half. Instead of a tie-dye T-shirt, try a shirt with an element of tie-dye in it,” says Kinsel.
3. Redo your ’do. Today’s short hairstyles flatter the face and take off years. Browse a new style magazine and find a look you’d like to try before you visit your salon. But short hair is not required; more and more boomer women are wearing tousled, mid-length styles as popularized by Katie Couric, or longer, lovely locks like Michelle Pfeiffer.
4. Get fit! Let’s face it: Aging stinks and so does gravity. But there’s no age limit on exercise. A simple walking program, building up to 30 minutes, five days a week, will do wonders for creating a healthy lifestyle and look. Strength training just three times per week can help improve bone density, reduce body fat and improve muscle tone. Try finding a program online or hiring a personal trainer.
5. Lighten up the makeup.Too much makeup can add years. Mature women and women of any age can benefit from this season’s lighter, brighter makeup styles. Many salons include free makeup consultations. You can also try the makeup counter at your favorite department store.
6. Enhance those curves. Current shape-wear tend to display, not disguise, your body’s natural curves. Look for tummy-control and thigh-firming features.
7. Stop hiding behind loose clothing. Baggy clothing may make you appear larger than you actually are. Instead, opt for body skimming (not tight) items that will show off your feminine silhouette.
8. Be bejeweled. The Glam Gals also recommend updating your jewelry wardrobe with a few hot pieces in the latest styles. Trends include: odd and unusual rocks for eye-popping rings, necklaces with only a sprinkling of diamonds and an emphasis on metals, red jewels such as pinkish-red rubellite or soft pink tourmaline.
9. Revitalize your lips. Lips can be one of the first areas to show signs of aging. Be sure to protect them from the sun with sunblock with SPF. Also, reapply color throughout the day to keep your lips moist.
10. Exfoliate. Good skin is essential to looking young. Be sure to exfoliate to give your cells a little nudge.