Before You Begin
- De-Clutter: Before you focus on the floors, clear the area of in-the-way objects. You’ll spend less time later moving things from here to there just to get to the floor underneath.
- Dust: Tiny particles may float to the floor as you clean, so save time by dusting first. Start up high and work your way down to prevent dust from re-settling on surfaces you’ve already cleaned.
Common Types of Floors
- Begin by clearing all the furniture possible off of the floor
- Sweep the laminate area with a Swiffer Sweeper to remove any material that may cause scratching. Be sure to sweep along the grain of the flooring to pick up anything in the grooves
- Use a mop and hot water or a steam cleaner to remove any built up debris or dirt
- If the floor is barely damp, allow it to air dry or wipe the floor with a clean microfiber cloth
- Speed up the process by dusting first. Use a Swiffer Sweeper to pick up dust, dirt, pet hair and anything that may cause scratches
- Use a Swiffer WetJet to clean the floor
- Ensure the floor dries completely by running a fan in the room
Tile: Consult our guide for cleaning tile and grout to effectively get tile floors sparkling clean.
Carpet: Vacuum your carpets weekly and give them a thorough, deep clean every 12-18 months. It’s best to rent a carpet cleaner or have a professional service to handle the deep cleaning.
Room-by-Room Floor Cleaning Checklist
Whether you’re routine cleaning or prepping for a party, keep our Room-by-Room Floor Cleaning Checklist on hand so you never miss a mess.
Get loads of great tips and advice for cleaning by registering for P&G everyday here.