Let’s face it – your time is too precious to spend hours scrubbing, wiping and washing in your kitchen, especially when the sun is out and the fun is waiting! and while the kitchen still needs to be cleaned on a regular basis (you spend a lot of time there, after all), these eight ingenious cleaning tips will revolutionize your usual routine, leaving you with more precious minutes to enjoy the season.
1. Work smart.
clean the kitchen methodically, working from top to bottom and from left to right, and save the sink for last. put all your cleaning supplies together in a bucket or plastic caddy for easy access, and refill it after each session so it’s always ready to go.
2. stock up on the right cleaning tools and products.
speaking of cleaning supplies, certain products can help reduce the time you spend cleaning in the kitchen, no matter the spot you want to tackle:
- greasy kitchen cabinets? Wash them with a sponge and a solution of dawn dish soap and warm water – the cleaning agents in dawn absorb the grease just as well on kitchen surfaces as they do on dishes. (get the complete guide here.)
- dirty, grimy floor? Reach for the swiffer WetJet, an all-in-one mopping system that breaks up and dissolves tough messes while pulling dirt and grime into the WetJet pad and locking it away for good.
- Built-up grease, countertop gunk and stuck-on food in the fridge? grab a mr-clean Magic Eraser Kitchen. With the cleaning power of dawn, it removes three times more grease with one swipe than the leading all-purpose spray.
3. cheat at cleaning.
Your secret is safe with us! the tops of cupboards and the fridge can attract grease and grime, so put a sheet of newspaper on these surfaces. When the paper is dirty, just replace it with a new sheet. You can apply the same trick to your fridge by covering glass shelves with plastic wrap, or to your oven by putting an old baking sheet on the lowest shelf to catch drips and spills from above.
4. switch to dawn dish soap when you’re doing dishes.
dawn cuts through grease quickly, and a little goes a long way. It’s not just for dishes, either. Wash your blender, smoothie maker or food mixer in seconds by half-filling it with warm water and a drop or two of dawn. Blitz briefly, and then empty and rinse. Easy!
5. clean with lemons.
Bring the scent of summer into your kitchen by cleaning with all-natural citrus. Rub half of a lemon and a sprinkle of coarse salt on wooden chopping boards to deodorize and sanitize them, and pop the other half of the lemon in your fridge to keep it smelling fresh.
6. declutter to reduce your cleaning time.
the clearer your kitchen surfaces, the quicker you’ll be able to clean them. store kitchen appliances in a cupboard instead of on the counter, hang utensils on a rack instead of storing in a pot, and stash baking pans, chopping boards and cutlery away until you need them.
7. Invest in microfiber cloths.
Not only are they more hygienic than normal cleaning cloths, they’re also more efficient. the millions of tiny fibers attach themselves to even the smallest dirt particles, only releasing them when you wash the cloth in hot water. You can also reuse a microfiber cloth dozens of times.
8. get your dishwasher to help.
Why scrub when a machine can do it for you? Most oven and fridge racks, oven hood filters, range burner rings, garbage can lids, compost caddies and even dish brushes can be safely washed in your dishwasher. Keep your dishwasher sparkling clean with cascade dishwasher cleaner – once a month, pop in a pac and run the empty dishwasher to remove limescale, grease and odors.