By Lorraine Allen
Nothing screams SUMMER and FUN like the long holiday weekend celebrating our nation’s independence. This is everyone’s chance to kick back, soak in some sunshine, and relax with family and friends. Here are some sweet treats you can all prepare with little to no effort, so you’ll have more time to enjoy your long weekend celebrating together.
1. Red, white, and blue rocket shaped ice pops: Buy these classic frozen treats for a crowd of excited kids waiting to watch the fireworks on a hot summer evening. There’s nothing easier!
2. Patriotic parfaits: These take just minutes to assemble and taste amazing, too. Use clear cups and layer vanilla ice cream or pudding with layers of red and blue berries. Top with a cookie crumble if you wish.
3. Red, white, and blueberry yogurt cups: Make a festive breakfast or snack by using the “parfait” method above, and create layers of yogurt, colorful fresh berries and crunchy granola. Serve in a small glass cup or bowl. Yum!
4. Holiday croissants: Buy pre-made croissants and warm in the oven. Or, buy crescent roll dough, and bake according to package instructions. Cut open to serve with butter and blueberry and raspberry jam stripes. Delicious!
5. Watermelon and blueberry bites: Perfect for parties or a picnic. Make a tray full of these, since they’ll go fast! Scoop out small balls of watermelon, and spear each on a toothpick with a couple of blueberries. Sweet, juicy, a bit tart—refreshing and delicious! (You can add cubes of feta cheese, too.)
More from P&G everyday: 6 Cool No-Bake Desserts for Summer
6. Mixed berry muffins: If you’re in a baking mood, whip up some mixed berry muffins for a tasty red, white, and blue breakfast treat.
7. Red, white, and blue ice cream cake: Buy a no-bake, cookie-crumb piecrust, and add a layer of strawberries or raspberries and blueberries on the bottom. Top with a hefty layer of slightly softened vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. Add more berries on top, in a pretty pattern, and freeze until ready to serve. This icebox pie looks beautiful, and tastes amazing, too.
8. Patriotic sprinkles: You can find red, white, and blue sprinkles in the baking aisle of most supermarkets. Use these to quickly decorate store-bought ice cream sandwiches, cookies, or cupcakes, and voila! You have a special, festive treat to serve up in no time.
9. Red, white, and blue PB&J finger sandwiches: For kids with allergies, use sunflower seed butter instead. Spread on soft bread and top with a layer of strawberry jam, then a layer of blueberry jam, and top with another piece of bread to complete the sandwich. Cut into rectangular flag shapes. A kid favorite!
10. Patriotic pretzels: Dip pretzel rods into melted white chocolate; let set. Then dip the ends in blue-tinted white chocolate and dot with white star candies. Finally, apply stripes of red-tinted white chocolate to the exposed white portion. These make a fun party favor, too.
What are your favorite red, white, and blue treats?
Lorraine is a freelance parenting and food writer, and she shares her cooking adventures and family recipes at FeedingLina.com. She lives in New York with her family and one squirrel-obsessed dog. Follow her @feedingLina.
You also may like: