1. Classic Vinaigrette Dressing: Mix 3 parts of your favorite vinegar with 1 part oil. You can play around with the mix to find your favorite balance. Add flavor depth by experimenting with different vinegars and acids (like lemon juice).
Tip: A basic dressing can keep for months in the fridge, which makes it a great staple. If you add perishable ingredients like fresh veggies, mayonnaise or sour cream, the dressing will last as long its most perishable ingredient (usually no longer than a week). To store, place in an airtight container in the fridge.
2. French Vinaigrette: This classic dressing tastes great on roasted vegetables and sandwiches. Mix together 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar with salt to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon) and 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion or shallot. Whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard.
3. Roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette: Serve this delicious dressing on spinach salad or use as a marinade for chicken breasts or skirt steak. In a small, oven-proof dish, place 3-4 freshly sliced garlic cloves in 8 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast at 325 F until garlic is soft and browned, and oil is infused with garlic flavor. Let cool. Whisk garlic and oil with 8 teaspoons balsamic vinegar.
4. Honey Lime Dressing: Top off your taco salad and black beans with this dressing. For a sweeter touch, omit the garlic and use as a dressing for fruit salad. Puree 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, 1 garlic clove and 1/8 teaspoon paprika.
Tip: For easy clean up and storage, combine ingredients in a mason jar and shake vigorously to mix. When you’re done using the dressing, just twist the lid back on and refrigerate.
5. Cilantro Sour Cream Dressing: This works for salads and tastes great on fish tacos and quesadillas. Puree 16 ounces salsa verde, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup chopped cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
Do you have a favorite homemade dressing you love to make? Share the recipe in the comments section below!