It’s a rare evening in and someone took the kids for the night. Or maybe you’re in the mood to cook something decadent for the entire family.
Either way, we’ve got just the sweet treat to take dessert up a notch. And you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen to enjoy it.
Bananas Foster: An Experiment Worth Trying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt, give or take
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Optional: caramel sauce
- Optional: whole pecans
- In a saucepan or individual cast iron skillets over medium heat, melt the butter
- Add the sliced bananas and stir consistently for 2 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the ice cream
- Continue stirring for 2 more minutes on low heat
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream
- Drizzle with caramel sauce or add pecans
Optional: Caramel Sauce
Tip: The caramel sauce is optional because you can just buy it instead of making it, not because you should skip it. Remember: it’s delicious.
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup whole milk
- Combine the sugar, water and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring continuously until the sugar dissolves
- Stop stirring and let the mixture come to a boil for about 2-3 minutes. The mixture will turn an amber color. Watch closely to make sure it doesn’t burn
- Add the heavy cream (be careful) and whisk to combine. Then, remove from the heat
- Add milk, 2 tablespoons at a time, until you have the right consistency
- Let the sauce cool to room temperature, thickening as it cools
Whether you’re looking for something new to try – or you want to get rid of all of that ice cream – give this classic a whirl.