By: Enriqueta L.
Flan is not originally from Latin American countries. It came from Europe during colonial times. However, it's become a staple in Latin-American kitchens. Not only is it delicious, it's easy to make. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare it and maybe an hour to bake it in the oven.
Patience is required when cooling it and then placing it in the refrigerator for at least four hours, or overnight if possible. That's why I like to make it a day ahead of time.
I also like that flan can be made in different flavors. Some of the most popular ones are coconut, cream cheese, rum, and lately I've made dulce de leche, arequipe (Colombian caramel), or soft toffee (my favorite), pineapple, and guava.
However, since we are in pumpkin spice season, I want to share this recipe with you that reminds me of pumpkin pie but with the smooth and creamy texture of flan or the cream cheeses we like so much.
The ingredients are the same as a vanilla caramel flan but we're also going to add a little bit of pumpkin puree which you can make by baking pumpkin, including the skin, and then removing the pulp, or by purchasing canned puree at the supermarket.
The final touch is the spices.
This is a perfect dessert for your Thanksgiving table and even for Christmas or New Year's .
Pumpkin Spice Flan Recipe
Ingredients for an 8-portion flan.
1 cup sugar (for the caramel)
1 can evaporated milk (12 ounces)
1 can condensed milk (14 ounces)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, cook the sugar until it turns into caramel. Carefully, without burning yourself, spread the caramel over the bottom and the sides of a jelly mold
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Blend the rest of the ingredients: evaporated milk, condensed milk, pumpkin puree and spices
- Place the mixture inside of the mold. Cover the mold using its own top or with aluminum foil and place it in a deep dish, with water for a bain marie
- Bake from 50 minutes to an hour or until you can put a knife in the middle of it and it comes out clean
- Let it cool down and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before service (if possible, overnight)
- Carefully turn it over on a tray before serving
What is your family's favorite recipe during this season?