Did you know September 29 is National Coffee Day? Every mom deserves a special treat, so take a few minutes out of your busy morning and treat yourself to a delicious, coffeehouse-inspired brew!
Pick a Roast Type
Before embellishing, choose the right roast for you. Remember, roast only impacts flavor, not caffeine content.
- Light: The beans have just had the oil cooked out of them. This is where the complexity and acidity of the beans are most noticeable. Roasts that fall in this category are typically used in specialty coffee drinks.
- Medium: The most common roast used by coffee chains as their “coffee du jour.” This roast gives a balanced representation of the coffee bean and will ideally represent where it is grown. Tastes will commonly be nutty and spicy.
- Dark: It takes a serious coffee drinker to truly recognize the flavors of this roast. Many equate these roasts to the “bitter coffee taste” that so many misinterpret as a standard for any and all coffee. Dark roasts mix magically with sweeteners (should you decide to add them) and hold up best when blended with dairy.
More from P&G everyday: Copycat Frozen Coffee Creations
Time to Embellish
1. Non-dairy Milk
Instead of cream, try using coconut or almond milk when fixing your coffee, cappuccino or latte. This will give your cup a nutty, full-flavored boost.
2. Pumpkin Spice Whipped Cream
Top your coffee with some homemade whipped cream. Simply mix a tablespoon of pumpkin spice syrup with heavy whipping cream and beat until it forms soft peaks.
3. Carmel Syrup with Vanilla Whipped Cream
Step up a traditional whipped cream with a luscious drizzle of caramel syrup.
4. Hot Chocolate
Start with your favorite hot chocolate mix as a base and use coffee instead of water to mix. Add a peppermint stick and marshmallows for a wintery spin and you’ve got yourself a hot chocolate mocha!
Think of the common seasonings associated with autumn and dash them into a freshly poured cup. Use nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Even a small amount of ginger will help combat the acidity of most roasts and will produce a mellow brew.
6. Ice Cream
Because nothing says a special treat like a scoop of your favorite ice cream! Plus, it will cool down your coffee without watering it down with ice cubes.
Tip: Add a few dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg or even vanilla extract into coffee grounds before brewing to seriously draw out those uplifting flavors.
Cleanup Tip: After enjoying your specialty brew, don’t worry about pre-washing before the dishwasher. Use Cascade Platinum Pacs and let them do the hard work for you!
What are some of your favorite coffee add-ins? Let us know in the comments below!