Summer means ripe, juicy tomatoes of every color to enjoy. Green tomatoes are firm and not quite as sweet as their red counterparts, a trait that makes them perfect for cooking. Fried green tomatoes are a southern staple and the epitome of comfort food. Try this simple recipe that you can enjoy all summer long.
Fried Green Tomato Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat
2. In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and cayenne. In another shallow dish, whisk the eggs to lightly beat
3. Blot tomatoes with Bounty paper towels to absorb any extra juice. Dip tomato slices into the egg to coat and then into the cornmeal mixture to coat
4. Carefully place the tomatoes into the hot oil and cook until browned and tender, about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer the tomatoes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with a little more sea salt if desired
Or Bake them Instead!
Fried green tomatoes don’t necessarily have to be fried – you can bake them in the oven! Follow the traditional green tomato recipe above, but instead of heating oil in the frying pan:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F
2. Line a baking sheet foil and coat with cooking spray
3. Place the breaded tomatoes on the baking sheet and coat the tops with more cooking spray
4. Bake for 6 minutes per side or until tender and browned. If tomatoes are not browning enough, move them to the broiler for a minute or two.
5. Sprinkle with a little more sea salt if desired