Summer means ripe, juicy tomatoes of every color to enjoy. Green tomatoes are firm and not quite as sweet as their red counterparts, a trait that makes them perfect for cooking. Fried green tomatoes are a southern staple and the epitome of comfort food. Try this simple recipe that you can enjoy all summer long.
Fried Green Tomato Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
- Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and cayenne. In another shallow dish, whisk the eggs to lightly beat
- Blot tomatoes with Bounty paper towels to absorb any extra juice. Dip tomato slices into the egg to coat and then into the cornmeal mixture to coat
- Carefully place the tomatoes into the hot oil and cook until browned and tender, about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer the tomatoes to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with a little more sea salt if desired
Or Bake them Instead!
Fried green tomatoes don’t necessarily have to be fried – you can bake them in the oven! Follow the traditional green tomato recipe above, but instead of heating oil in the frying pan:
- Preheat the oven to 450 F
- Line a baking sheet foil and coat with cooking spray
- Place the breaded tomatoes on the baking sheet and coat the tops with more cooking spray
- Bake for 6 minutes per side or until tender and browned. If tomatoes are not browning enough, move them to the broiler for a minute or two.
- Sprinkle with a little more sea salt if desired