There are some breakfast foods that are simply worth making and eating. Monkey bread is one of them. The ooey gooey, sticky bites of bread are easy to share and ideal for a house full of hungry bellies. What’s even better? We’ve added some blueberries for a little added burst of fruity flavor so you’ll feel even better about serving it.
So let your monkeys tear away and enjoy this yummy treat!
Monkey Bread Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: Up to 1 hour, 5 minutes
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
4 cans (10 ounces each) refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries*
3/4 cup margarine
1 can (10 ounce) vanilla icing, optional
*Tip: While blueberries are a perfect way to offset the sweetness of the cake, feel free to use your favorite berry in their place. Raspberries, blackberries and cherries are all great choices!
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Thoroughly grease a Bundt cake or round cake pan. If you don’t have one of those, a 9-by-5 1/2-inch bread pan will work
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut biscuits into bite-sized pieces, and then cover each piece in the sugar mixture
- Arrange one layer of biscuit pieces in the bottom of the pan, and then sprinkle about a quarter of the blueberries on top of it
- Repeat adding layers of biscuit pieces and blueberries until you reach the top of the pan
- In a saucepan, combine the rest of the sugar mixture with margarine. Heat until the sugar is dissolved and the margarine is melted. Pour over the biscuits in the pan
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until done. Lift and turn out onto a cake plate. Top with icing, if desired