Although mug meals are easy and delicious any time of year, during the cold winter months they can serve as fast comfort food. You’ve likely seen a recipe for cake in a mug, but these Latin-inspired recipes include mug meals that can even serve as a main course or a dessert.
Huevos Rancheros (in a Mug!)
Need a good breakfast dish? These huevos rancheros are as easy as they are delicioso!
¼ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 corn tortilla
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon enchilada sauce
Dollop sour cream
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon of black bean salsa
- Coat mug with oil.
- Place the corn tortilla down into the mug so that the tortilla lines the bottom and part of the sides with the opening at the top.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and enchilada sauce.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Fold in black bean salsa.
- Cook on medium heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes or until eggs are puffed up and cooked thoroughly.
- Top with sour cream.
Spicy Latin Corn Chowder
Add a little kick to your corn chowder – and more flavor to your bite!
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 red or white potato – washed, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 cup corn kernels (frozen, canned and drained, or fresh)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons diced green chiles (canned) or diced fresh jalapeño
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
Note: Be sure to use a large mug that holds more than 2 cups of ingredients.
- Place the potatoes in a large mug and fill with enough water to cover. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and cook for 3-5 minutes in the microwave. Drain the water and make sure the potato is tender.
- In another mug, combine the butter with garlic, onion, celery, thyme and cumin. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the ingredients are tender and the butter is melted
- Stir flour into the butter mixture to create a paste. Then, slowly add the milk, stirring continuously.
- Add the drained potatoes, chiles, corn, salt and pepper, and cook for 1-2 minutes (until heated through).
- Sprinkle on cilantro. Enjoy!
Tip: Add some cooked chorizo for some additional flavor and protein!
Simple Brazilian Flan
Minimize your time, but not your taste!
For the flan
1/2 cup condensed milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
For the syrup
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sugar
- Stir syrup ingredients together and cook for 1 minute, on high heat, in the microwave. Then cook in two 30-second intervals until caramelized.
Tip: Be careful not to burn the syrup, as the flan will have a bitter flavor.
- Spread the syrup around the mug and set the remaining aside.
- Combine egg, milk, condensed milk and vanilla extract in another mug or container. Using a fork beat them well.
- Using roughly half of the beaten egg mixture, pour into the caramelized mug.
- Heat in microwave on high for one minute. If liquid remains, cook another 30 seconds.
- Refrigerate to cool.
- Repeat and cook the remaining half mixture. Top both with any leftover syrup.
Whether you’re running short on time or are just looking for a mess-free meal, these Latin-inspired mug meals are a great choice. They’re quick, there’s minimal cleanup, and they’re the right size for meals, snacks or even dessert. Perfecto!
What’s your favorite mug-friendly dish? Tell us below.