Reinvent these classic puffed rice cereal dessert bars by adding in delicious treats and using fun cereals. The possibilities are endless, but here are some of our favorite ways to make over the classic dessert bars.
Classic Marshmallow Cereal Bar Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
4 tablespoons butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
6 cups puffed rice cereal
- Melt butter in a large pan over low heat. Use a rubber spatula to stir in mini marshmallows and melt completely. Remove from heat
- Add cereal. Mix together until combined
- Evenly press cereal mixture into a pan coated with cooking spray or wax paper and allow to cool*
- Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days
*Tip: Use sheets of wax paper to press the cereal mixture into the coated pan so your hands don’t get sticky.
Tip: You can freeze cereal bars (separated by wax paper) for up to six weeks.
Cereal Bar Makeover
Switch up the classic cereal bars by mixing in your favorite candy or sweet treats. Repeat the steps above, but in step 2, add in:
1 cup of:
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Peanut butter
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Chocolate sandwich cookies, chopped
- Dried fruit
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
2 cups of:
- Peanut butter cups, chopped
- Mini chocolate eggs
- Candy corn
- Candy-coated chocolate pieces
- Candy-coated peanut butter pieces
A fun way to mix up classic cereal bars is to substitute 6 cups of your favorite cereal for the puffed rice in the original recipe. Some tasty options include:
- Fruit rings
- Chocolate puffed rice cereal
- Frosted corn flakes
- Cinnamon toast cereal
- Cereal with mini marshmallows
- Apple rings
- Peanut butter cup cereal
- Puffed wheat cereal
- Fruity puffed rice cereal
Tip: In order to fill out the bars and eliminate air, blend 1 or 1 1/2 cups of the substitute cereal before mixing it with the melted marshmallows. This will help keep the bigger cereal pieces together.
Cereal Bar Toppings
Once the bars are cooled, add a sweet touch with icing, chocolate frosting, hot fudge, caramel or peanut butter for an over-the-top treat.
Which cereal will you try? Share your creative ideas in the comments section below!