Granny Smiths in a Blanket Recipe
Find the tastiest way to celebrate the apple season and give your loved ones a treat.
Ingredients (serves 6 people)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 20 cinnamon candies
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for topping
- 2 9-inch unbaked refrigerated piecrusts
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 450 F.
In a medium-sized saucepan, mix sugar, water, cinnamon, nutmeg and cinnamon candies.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat to create a hot syrup.
Immediately take saucepan off heat and add butter. Mix well until all candies are dissolved.
Cut each piecrust into three wedges and wrap them around cored apples, leaving the hollowed part of the apple exposed. Place apples in a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon on top and place a dab of butter into the hole of each apple. Pour the hot syrup over the apples.
Bake for 50 minutes, basting with the hot syrup every 15 minutes or so. If liquid begins to get too thick, add a little water to thin.
Serve warm apples topped with vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle a few cinnamon candies on the plate for garnish.