Grilled Summer Shortcake Recipe
Try this interesting twist on a classic and make this dessert a summertime staple!
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (for grilled fruit)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (for shortcakes)
- Canola oil
- 2 peaches, cut in half, pits removed
- 2 plums, cut in half, pits removed
- 12 large strawberries, hulled (or other berries of your choice)
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 F.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
In an electric mixer, whip cream with vanilla until soft peaks form. Add flour mixture to cream and beat on low until well blended.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Pat dough into a 6-inch circle.
Lightly brush dough with cream, then sprinkle with brown sugar. Cut into 4 wedges.
Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown for about 10 minutes. Cool before removing from sheet.
Heat grill to medium high. Lightly brush fruit with oil. Grill peaches and plums for about 8 minutes, turning frequently until juicy and grill marked. Add strawberries to the grill during last minute of cooking.
When cool enough to handle, cut peaches and plums into chunks. Toss with brown sugar and gently stir in strawberries. Let stand 5 minutes.
Split shortcakes in half, and place the bottom halves on dessert plates. Top with fruit, sweetened whipped cream and the top half of the shortcake. Serve.