By: Camille Simmons
One of the easiest and tastiest treats to serve at a party is a savory hand pie. These pies can be filled with anything and work well both as a main dish and as an appetizer. Pick up your favorite pre-made pie dough and filling ingredients and you’re ready to begin.
Savory Hand Pie Recipe
Prep time: 10-40 minutes
Bake time: 20-25 minutes
Cooling time: 15 minutes
Filling of choice (suggestions below)
Baking sheet lined with parchment
Flour to dust on counter or work surface
Pre-made pie dough
Cookie cutters in seasonal or festive shapes
- Fully prepare whatever filling you are planning to put inside the hand pies (suggestions below) and set it aside
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Place parchment paper on the baking sheet and set aside
- Dust the counter or work surface with flour (make sure you dough is at room temperature)
- Pinch off a portion of the pie dough and roll into balls (you can make hand pies mini or large, it’s your preference and depends on the amount of filling you made)
- Roll out each ball of dough into a circle
- Place filling in the center of the circle and fold in half to close
- Use the fork to pinch the ends together and seal the hand pie
- Place all the hand pies on a baking sheet with a 1-2 inches of space in between each pie
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden
- Let cool at least 15 minutes and test temperature before serving
Tip: If you want something a little more festive, try using cookie cutters. Cut two pieces of dough in the same shape. Place a little filling on top of one cutout and place the matching cutout on top. Again, pinch the edges together with a fork to seal. Be sure to leave a few holes on top to avoid bubbling.
Use about 2 ounces of filling in each of the hand pies. Be sure to cook all of the ingredients thoroughly before filling.
- Gorgonzola and bacon
- Spinach and feta
- Sweet potato and black beans
- Braised pork and hominy
- Shredded chicken and chili verde
- Broccoli and cheddar
- Beef and mushroom
- Carrot, leeks and goat cheese
Simple one-ingredient hand pies are favorites too, like all cheese for kids or turkey with a little cranberry sauce on top for a holiday meal. Transform a favorite family recipe into a delicious hand pie and it could become the new holiday tradition!
Camille is a Bay Area-based planning and decorating expert. She is the creator of Planning Pretty, a lifestyle site dedicated to sharing easy, affordable and pretty ideas for everyday living.