Turn day-old bread into tomorrow’s breakfast. Or indulge in one of life’s most underrated indulgences: Breakfast for dinner!
Slow Cooker French Toast Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours
1 loaf of old bread — any kind will do
8 to 12 eggs*
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon brown sugar
*Tip: I use 8 eggs if the loaf of bread is on the small side, 12 for a larger loaf
1. Use enough of the butter to grease the sides of slow cooker. Whatever is leftover, put into the pot
2. Put the loaf of bread in the crock — moving around slices if the loaf itself is too big to fit
3. Mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl
4. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, making sure it covers every piece of bread*
5. Turn the slow cooker on low for six to eight hours
*Tip: When you first pour the egg over the bread, it looks like it’s going to overflow. The bread will absorb the liquid, which helps it to cook and to stay moist.
Serving suggestion: Top with fresh fruit, granola, maple syrup or even chocolate chips for an extra flavorful treat.