By: Shelly Reese
Crafting with candy canes is both a great way to keep kids (or yourself) occupied on grim December days and an economical way to personalize gifts. Best of all, there’s a craft suited for virtually every age and skill level.
1. Candy Cane Mice
These little guys are quick, easy and suitable for a range of ages.
Two colors of felt or craft foam
1 standard-sized candy cane
Small plastic eyes
- Cut out an egg-shaped piece of fabric or foam about 3 inches long for your mouse’s body and a figure-eight shape of about the same length for his ears
- Cut two pairs of small slits in your mouse. Cut the first pair horizontally near the bottom or fat part of the egg shape into which you will slide the candy cane tail. (You may want to secure the candy cane on the underside of the mouse with a drop of glue or a piece of masking tape)
- Cut the second pair of slits about 1 inch from the point of the egg, perpendicular to the first set
- Slide the “ears” through the slits
- Working with a contrasting color felt or foam, cut two circular or elliptical shapes to represent the inside of the mouse’s ears. Glue these to your mouse’s ears
- Draw a face or glue on embellishments, such as a felt nose, plastic eyes, bows, jingle bells, etc.
Tip: These mice make great stocking stuffers, ornaments and package toppers.
2. Candy Cane Reindeer
Need a project idea for your child’s holiday party at school? This one’s quick, easy and low mess.
Wrap two standard-sized candy canes (these are the antlers) near their base with a strip of brown paper. Secure in the back with a glue stick. Make a reindeer face on the front of the brown paper with plastic eyes, a red felt nose and brown paper ears.
Tip: You can also use a pom-pom for the nose. These are cute but can be hard to secure, especially for little ones.
3. Candy Cane Place Card Holders
Use our simple instructions for creating last-minute place card holders for candy canes.
Tip: Although they’re not traditional candy canes, our adorable peppermint wreath is the perfect addition to your indoor décor this holiday season.