3 DIY Valentine’s Day Cards
Craft our simple, creative cards for Valentine’s Day this year.
By: Rae Friis
Having a valentine for everyone is important, but coming up with a unique and creative design can add stress to an otherwise fun day. These special valentines use simple materials and are easy to put together, yet they pack a punch of serious cuteness. Below are some ideas for classroom valentines, and one idea you can use to make a very special card for your sweetheart.
1. Eye Heart You
A crafty, googly-eyed message makes for a clever and funny valentine with lots of room to write a love note inside. Here’s how to make your own.
Heart-shaped craft punch
Fancy pen or favorite stamp
- Cut cardstock to 2 1/2-by- 7 inches and fold in half to make a 2 1/2-by- 3 1/2 inch folded card
- Next, use scissors or a heart-shaped craft punch to make hearts out of festive craft paper
- Then, about a half-inch from the fold, make one hole punch big enough for your googly eye to fit through and glue it in place
- Lastly, glue a heart to the right of your googly eye and use a fancy pen or stamp to write “you”
- Once all the glue has dried, your child can write a sweet message and their name on the inside
2. Fortune Cookie
A sweet treat and special message hide in a look-alike of everyone’s favorite cookie. Plus they are easy to make, and are a great out-of-the-box idea to show your love to that special someone. Here’s how.
Paper for written fortune messages
- Cut a 4-inch circle to use as a template for your cookie and trace as many as you will need onto craft paper, then cut out
- Write or type messages that will fit onto a 12-by- 3 inch piece of paper and cut out
- Then (back to your circles) place a small glue dot close to the edge of your circle and fold in half so the edges are held together, but don’t crease
- Slip your fortune in the middle, folding in half if you need to
- Place your thumb on one edge of your “cookie” and middle finger on the other and bend the edged back together, using your pointer finger to push in the center. Keep pushing until it folds in half and use another glue dot to hold the two sides together
3. Sprinkles to my Ice Cream
A decorated bag of sprinkles or little candies tied up with a pretty ribbon or twine contain the perfect accessory to a creamy bowl of ice cream. Simply fill a small candy bag with your child’s favorite topping and tie with a tag that says, “You’re the topping to my ice cream!”
Do you have any Valentine’s Day card ideas? Share in the comments below!
Rae is a graphic designer and the creative director of Armommy.com. She spends her days working from home — usually with any one of her four lovely (and rambunctious) kids hanging on her side. She enjoys creating everyday adventures with her munchkins using ordinary things and making them extraordinary. Oh, and she also really loves clothes, chocolate, her husband, and her cell phone (in no particular order).