DIY Star Lanterns
Download and print our free template to make crafty star lanterns for your outdoor décor.
Scrapbook paper, color(s) of your choice
2 pencils (1 sharpened, 1 dull)
Strand of holiday lights
Scrap of cardboard
- To get started, simply download and print our star lantern instructions and template. For a look that is truly your own, experiment with different colors and sizes
- Follow the instructions provided within the template to construct and strand your lanterns
- Hang the strand, then plug in the lights
Personalize Your Lanterns
As an added touch, before you glue your lanterns together, use this simple pin-poking technique to spell out a special message with your lanterns.
- Decide on a message to convey
- Use a pencil to lightly draw each letter from your message, one letter per lantern
- Place your scrapbook paper flat on a scrap of cardboard
- Using a push pin, poke holes along your drawn letter — leaving about a half an inch between each hole
Decorate Outdoor Spaces with Lanterns
When lit, lanterns are bright enough to illuminate the faces of your guests, yet subtle enough to allow you to appreciate the flicker of fireflies. To inspire you, here are our favorite ways to display them:
- Hang strands along trees, bushes or trellises. For a more natural effect, tuck them gently into the greenery.
- A string of white lanterns creates a gorgeous contrast to the vibrant colors and lush foliage of summer.
- Create a strand of bright-colored lanterns to set the mood or fit the theme of a party and bring out the hues in your garden.
Tip: LED lights last longer than traditional bulbs, so use them to guarantee your party will shine long into the night.
Enhance Indoor Spaces with Lanterns
When the weather begins to cool, create everyday beauty by adorning your home indoors.
- For a fun and sophisticated touch, string lanterns along ceilings, across the top of a doorway or from any overhang.
- Make entertaining and everyday meals extraordinary. Simply arrange a cluster of lanterns above your table.
- Update the look by selecting paper with colors and patterns that accent your home’s interior decor.
- Decorate for a special celebration by hanging bouquets of unlit lanterns throughout your space.
Where will you hang you lanterns? Share your ideas in the comments below!