Tired of giving the same boring gifts? Dreading the thought of handing out gift cards again to friends and family? Then it’s time to get creative! From themed baskets to personalized and charitable presents, we have handmade gift ideas for everyone on your list.
Themed Gift Baskets
Instead of hunting for the perfect gift basket, make one yourself. Pack a decorative basket or box with items that fit the recipient’s hobbies and interests. Here are a few ideas.
- For the foodie: Appeal to her tastes with new measuring spoons and spatulas, tea towels, upscale spices and oils, and a new cookbook
- For the marathon runner: Help running enthusiasts gear up for winter workouts with a toasty flannel headband, a new running outfit, ear bud headphones, athletic socks and Secret or Old Spice Deodorant Invisible Sprays
- For the crafty kid in your life: Perfect for budding artists, fill this crafting kit with washable paints, brushes, pipe cleaners, beads, yarn and other craft supplies
- For the friend who can quote movies in her sleep: Include movie tickets, gourmet popcorn, boxed candy and a movie trivia game
- For the awesome DIY enthusiast: Swap out a basket for a canvas tool bag, and stuff it with new drill bits, a tape measure, work gloves and a home-project idea book
- For your best friend: This basket makes a great gift for your BFF – or any woman in your life who needs a night off. Fill it with spa-worthy items: a facemask; an Olay Cleansing DUO; a new moisturizing skincare regimen (we like Olay Luminous Brightening and Protecting Lotion SPF 30 for everyday use, Olay Luminous Advanced Tone Perfecting Micellar Cleansing Water to remove makeup and impurities, and Olay Regenerist Luminous Overnight Mask for deeper hydration); and a Febreze Candle in a calming scent like Mediterranean Lavender
Photo websites make it easy to create photo keepsakes anyone would treasure. Use your favorite photos of family or friends to make a beautiful photo album, wallet-sized flipbook, calendar or poster collage. Or give them a one-of-a-kind display for their photos by making a photo box, a DIY mason jar shelf or a chicken photo frame.
Finding a personalized holiday gift doesn’t require a visit to a gift-engraving store. Just apply an iron-on transfer of the recipient’s initials to a basic canvas tote bag, and stuff the bag with a new scarf and gloves in her favorite color. For the frequent traveler, purchase a leather luggage tag and create a personalized printed insert using your computer and printer. Or personalize stationery by stamping letter-writing paper with the recipient’s initials.
For the person who has everything, why not give to her favorite charity, organization or school? For the animal lover, try a gift membership to a zoo, or donate to an animal adoption center. Or pick a charity that’s near to the recipient’s heart, and make a donation in her name. If your friend loves his alma mater, contact his old high school or university. Some schools offer name-engraved bricks, park benches or other landmarks on behalf of alumni who make donations.
What creative or personalized gifts have you given or received? Share your favorites in the comments section!