With two supplies and less than an hour, create darling, customized mugs for your kitchen or to present as gifts to friends. The possibilities for personalizing them are endless. And with our gift suggestions, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to whip these up in no time.
DIY Baked Mugs
Permanent markers or porcelain paint pens
Plain ceramic drinking mug
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Write, draw or trace a customized message on the mug
- Bake for 30 minutes, then set on a cooling rack to cool
- Hand wash mugs before using*
*Tip: Avoid washing baked mugs in the dishwasher. If gifting them, add a sweet “hand wash only” reminder on the bottom of the mug with your marker before baking.
Tip: Use mugs to organize desk supplies. Or set them in the bathroom to hold cotton swabs, hair accessories and toothbrushes. They even make cute flower vases!
- Although they make the perfect gift for teachers, baked mugs are perfect for other occasions:
- Tuck a few tea bags and a small jar of honey in a mug for a thoughtful get-well gift. For a chocolate lover, use hot chocolate and chocolate spoons instead.
- Use your finest script and write friends’ or relatives’ names to create festive gifts for graduations, birthdays, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day and Grandparent’s Day.
- Make “his and hers” mugs, then bundle them together with a serving tray for a darling handmade wedding gift or housewarming present.
- Write a short children’s poem in pink or blue and fill it with small baby essentials for a sweet baby shower gift.
- Purchase mugs at a local discount store, personalize them with the date, then hand them out as party favors at a New Year’s Eve gathering.
Tip: Stack a few decorated mugs in between cake pans or plates to create a customized tiered cake stand, an essential for holiday entertaining or an after-dinner desserts bar.