In-the-pocket Magnet: Purchase magnets, from a craft store or online, with a clear pocket for showcasing pictures. Many of these magnetic photo pockets are made for standard photo sizes, so it’s easy to print out homemade designs and slide them into the magnet’s pocket. Since these are usually single-sided you will need to use two magnets, one for dirty dishes and one for clean dishes.
Double-sided Magnet: Use a thick cardstock to print a homemade design and glue it onto magnetic sheeting. You can find magnetic sheeting in most craft stores. Finally, cut out your design from the sheeting and place it on your dishwasher!
For a custom, artistic effect, follow these steps to paint and bake designs onto ceramic tiles:
Acrylic craft paint
- Clean your tiles thoroughly by rinsing them with water
- Next, wipe them down with an equal mixture of water and vinegar (make sure you’re handling the sides of tiles so oils from your hands don’t affect your painting)
- Use water-based acrylic enamel paints to paint designs onto your tiles — these paints can be mixed and layered for lots of decorative effects
- After letting your base design dry, you can then paint on “dirty dishes” and “clean dishes”
- After your tiles completely dry, set them on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven
- Set the oven to 325 F and let your tiles bake for about 45 minutes
- Turn off the oven and open the oven door to let the tiles gradually cool
- Once they’ve cooled, remove them from the pan and set them on your work surface
- Turn your tiles over and glue two heavy-duty magnets to the back of each tile
- Once the glue dries, you’ll be ready to display your decorative dishwasher magnets