By: Camille Simmons
While you could purchase a classic toothbrush holder matching your bathroom décor, it’s nice to have something unique. Each family member can have his or her own special and personalized holder made from favorite toys, trinkets or glassware around the house.
For the Kids : Repurposed Toys
- Take one of your child’s old plastic animal toys — like a dinosaur or unicorn that can stand on its own on the counter — and drill a hole in the back of the toy so a toothbrush can fit in the hole. Make sure to use a drill bit large enough to accommodate the brush.
- Action figures are also perfect for toothbrushes. Drill the torso of the action figure into the wall and secure it. Bend the arms or hands of the figure so the toothbrush can be held or laid across easily.
- For the little ones, repurpose a retired sippy cup with a cute design or favorite character. You can add a few stickers or some colorful washi tape to decorate the cup. Get the kids involved and let them draw on a blank cup or mug with an oil-based marker.
Tip: Adding names to the cups is a great way to keep track of toothbrushes in shared bathrooms!
For You: Repurpose Glassware
Convert glasses with character to add a vintage or rustic touch to your bathroom décor.
Find or buy any plain glass or porcelain cup large enough to hold a toothbrush and:
- Personalize ceramic cups or mugs with oil-based markers.
- Draw a design like polka dots, stripes, or a monogrammed initial.
- Wrap them in twine as a simple embellishment.
- Use small vases with bottle or sweetheart shapes as a classic alternative.
Tip: For any glass container, you can add chalkboard paint and personalize with chalk. Tie a ribbon around the lip or base of a glass for a simple decoration.
Do you have a crafty toothbrush holder? Tell us about it in the comments section below!
Camille is a Bay Area-based planning and decorating expert. She is the creator of Planning Pretty, a lifestyle site dedicated to sharing easy, affordable and pretty ideas for everyday living.