As fun to make as they are to use, homemade crayons are perfect for kids of all ages. Celebrate snow days with colorful craft projects the whole family can enjoy by following our step-by-step instructions to mold crayon creations.
Crayons (broken or worn out pieces are encouraged)
Muffin tins or metal candy molds for shaping
Refrigerator or freezer
Safety First: While crayons are fun coloring materials for kids, adult supervision is strongly encouraged when crafting with hot wax.
- Sort your crayons into the combinations you plan to melt — crayons will look best when similar shades are paired
- Break the crayons up into small pieces, making sure to remove any paper
- Line your molds with a non-stick spray and carefully place each group of colors into a different mold, filling each to the top
- Preheat your oven to 300 F and place the candy molds into the oven for about 5 minutes
- Once the wax has melted, remove your molds from the oven, set on a cooling surface, and add more crayons to each mold until it is once again filled to the top
- Repeat this process until you’ve fully filled each mold with melted wax
- Once the molds are filled, carefully remove your pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 20 minutes
- For final cooling and forming, place the pan in your refrigerator for at least 2 hours
- To reveal your vibrant coloring supplies, simply pop out your crayons from the molds or place your metal pan in the freezer until the crayons are easy to remove
- Once finished, you’re ready to color and create
Do you have your own DIY ideas for creating craft supplies? Share your basic how-to with the community by leaving a comment below.