Start with this oh-so-simple basic hummus recipe and then follow our instructions for some tasty add-ins to really spice things up!
Basic Hummus Recipe
1 can (19 ounces) garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas), drained
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pour garbanzo beans into blender. Place lemon juice, tahini and chopped garlic in blender
- Blend until creamy and well mixed
- Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized serving bowl
- Drizzle olive oil on top
- Serve with raw vegetables or pita chips
Option 1: Roasted Beet
Add 3 boiled beets to original recipe, before blending.
Option 2: Sun Dried Tomato
After the original hummus is prepared, fold in 1 cup of sundried tomatoes.
Tip: For the sundried tomato hummus, take it over the top with 1/4 cup of chopped basil.
Option 3: Spicy Creole
After the hummus is prepared, mix in your favorite blackening seasoning.
Option 4: Spinach and Feta
After the hummus is prepared, fold in 1 cup of chopped spinach and 1/2 cup of feta cheese.
Option 5: Split Pea
Abandon the traditional hummus recipe altogether for this delicious variety.
1 pound frozen peas
3 garlic cloves — 2 minced, 1 whole
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
6 large fresh basil leaves
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon if needed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 fresh baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
Fresh vegetables, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a gentle boil. Add frozen peas and 2 cloves of minced garlic, and then return to a boil and cook until peas are tender, about 3 minutes. Reserve a cup of the water, and then drain and set aside to cool slightly
- Transfer peas and garlic to a food processor and add mint, basil and lemon juice. Pulse and slowly add olive oil
- Continue to puree until the peas are creamy. The puree should be a thick but spoonable consistency. If it’s too thick, add reserved water, one tablespoon at a time, until it reaches desired consistency. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle one side of each baguette slice with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and then toast in the oven, about 4-5 min
Serve alongside sweet pea hummus and sliced fresh vegetables like cucumber, carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower.