By: Camille Simmons
Mediterranean décor can be incredibly inspiring and chic. The turquoise waters paired with great food, ancient history and architecture make the area a great inspiration for home décor. Use our ideas to incorporate the charm of the Mediterranean into your style.
Use True Blue Accents with Neutral Highlights
Create a color palette of rich turquoises or blues to instantly give your home a coastal feel. Mix various shades of blue, but keep them within the same tone.
- Pair royal blue with light blue and navy. If you want something a little softer, use your favorite light shade of blue as the neutral instead.
- Get inspiration from the coast by pairing blue with other natural shades: sandy tans, grays and warm yellows. Turquoise looks amazing with other neutral tones and adds tons of personality!
- Choose a bright blue like cobalt and accent with bright white. Bright white décor with pops of blue will look clean, vibrant and modern.
- Do this in your kitchen with small white appliances, dish towels and kitchen tools paired with gorgeous blue tile backsplash.
- Try this color scheme in your dining room by choosing only blue and white dishes for the dining table.
Bring in the Ancient
A key characteristic of the Mediterranean region is its rich ancient history, so use it to complete the look!
- Bring in a few column end tables or other vintage-looking pieces from your favorite home décor or secondhand store.
- Use crown molding in the living room with a Greek key for a subtle yet lovely detail.
- Find a stone coffee table to bring in an “ancient ruin” feel.
- Pull together the entire room with classic furniture and accents like beachy pillows and vintage mirrors.
- Plant greenery like lavender or ferns in distressed pots (or bright glossy blue ones) to keep with the vibe.
Keep It Light and Airy
Decorate with light and airy fabrics to really get the sense of the Mediterranean coast.
- Use a canopy bed frame in your bedroom and drape delicate fabrics above.
- An all-white bedroom with pops of turquoise or purple (inspired by Mediterranean villas) is perfect for serene style.
- Try adding metallic accents with mercury glass or bronze to add another texture to the décor.
Given the diversity of the Mediterranean and its culture, there are many different inspirations for décor ideas. The beauty of the area is mixing patterns and colors, so feel free to experiment with these styles and create a beautiful paradise at home.
For more of our easily achievable design styles, click here.
Camille is a Bay Area-based planning and decorating expert. She is the creator of Planning Pretty, a lifestyle site dedicated to sharing easy, affordable and pretty ideas for everyday living.