1 large book with a dust jacket*
A few light books
*Tip: Choose a book with a dust jacket you don’t mind cutting into.
- With the long edge of the bracket above the shorter protruding edge, use a level and stud finder to attach L-brackets to wall studs with anchor screws. They should be approximately 5 inches apart
- Set the large book on top of the brackets, centered, with the pages facing toward you. With a pencil, make two marks on the pages where brackets are touching the book
- With a utility knife, cut two horizontal 2-inch slits in the bottom flap of the book’s dust jacket, just below the pencil marks
- With the pages now facing the wall, slide the slits on the dust jacket over the L-brackets
- Stack a few lighter books on top to cover the top of the brackets that are showing
Tip: Keep the book stacking light so the floating shelf remains firmly attached to the wall.