Jennifer Farrell’s Upcycled Denim Rug
Use designer Jennifer Farrell’s guide to repurposing denim into a fun rug.
14 pair of recycled blue jeans
Hot glue gun
- Cut recycled blue jeans into long 6” wide strips. Use the fronts and backs of each leg to get the most strips out of each pair of jeans.
- Lay 10 strips side-by-side on the floor to form the length of the rug. Loosely tape these strips in place on the floor with duct tape.
- Start at the bottom of the rug, and weave a new strip of blue jean fabric over – under – over – under each taped strip, all the way through to the other end.
- Take another blue jean strip and alternate this time, weaving under – over – under – over, all the way through to the other side. Continue alternating weaving strips all the way up the length of the rug.
- Once all the strips are woven together, use the hot glue gone all the way around the perimeter of the rug about 1” in from the outside edge. This will lock all the strips in place.